Saturday, December 30, 2006

Working Panda

There was a quake near Taiwan and it caused entire asia having trouble to surf the internet. most of the website is either slow or unable to reach at all and that's bad news for my company.

My company is fully dependent on internet in order to operate. Developers and QAs depend on internet connection to download the latest update or upload their work. Since the internet was down, consequently not much of productivity can be done from employees.

So, the management came out a 'brilliant' idea. Flexible working, that's how they called it. Working schedule were change from normal '9 to 6' to '12pm to 6am' or '3am to 9am'. taxi fare can be claimed since there are no public transport available on that hour. After some discussion with my team, I end up with the schedule '3am to 9am' as agreed with all my team members.

I woke up at 2 am and I'd book the cab to pick me up at 2:30 am. I reached the company at 2:50 am because the taxi driver drove so fast since there was almost no car on the road. Anyway, when I reached the company, the driver laughed at me after he found out that my working hour was 3 in the morning. I was embarrassed and quickly paid up my fare.

When I reached to my office, I was hoping the internet connection would perform much faster than daytime connection speed. Unfortunately, the speed hasn't change that much even we're work at 3 am in the morning. People in the office raise their voice in disappointment due the 'flexible hours' wasn't help at all. Anyway, we found out a trick to use the external proxy to do our work although it's a bit slow. Nevertheless, an external proxy trick is better than no proxy at all.

Internet connection speed would be much faster at early in the morning. Yeah right.

No comments: